Saturday, 13 June 2020

More on the present perfect (ESL 244 )

More on the present perfect:

 

She has already taken a midterm in her math class.

He hasn’t finished tonight’s homework.

You have written four paragraphs so far this quarter.

Have you ever taken a class with Iva Tracey?

I’ve been to Europe.

 

A. With the indefinite past (no time given)

***We use the present perfect here to show a connection of a past action/experience to the present. 

 

1. Use with “already” to show that something has happened before now.  Use in positive statements.  There is no specific time given.

 

You have already taken a grammar quiz.

I have already written your midterm.

She has gone for a walk already.  (Notice the placement of “already”.)

 

What have you already done today?

I have already cooked dinner.

I have already done my yoga exercise.

I have already finished my art work.

I have already eaten dinner.

He has already played chess with his wife.

She has already done her laundry.

 

 

 

2. Use with “yet” in a negative statement to show that something has not happened before now.  It’s something that you are thinking about doing.

Several students haven’t met with the counselor yet.  They need to do it soon to get an education plan.

She hasn’t prepared for her phrasal verb presentation yet. 

 

Write a sentence with “yet” and the present perfect to show something that you still need to do.

I haven’t done my homework yet.

I haven’t paid my rent yet.

I haven’t walked my dog yet.

I haven’t ordered groceries for my family yet.

I haven’t finished reading that book yet.

I haven’t bought anything yet.

The weather hasn’t warmed up much yet.

 

I didn’t do my homework.  (This has a different meaning.)

The world hasn’t gone back to normal yet.

 

 

3. Use with “yet” in a question to see if something has been done before now.

Have you finished WA#4 yet? Yes, I have.

Have you prepared for your presentation yet? Yes, I have.  No, I haven’t.

Has she paid her bills yet? Yes, she has.  No, she hasn’t.

 

4.  Use with “ever” in a question to link the past to the present.

 

Have you ever eaten sushi?  Did you eat it before? (any time in your life?)     Yes, I have. I have eaten it many times.   No, I haven’t.

Have you ever been to Disneyland?

Has she ever taught an online class?

 

 

 

 

5.  We use the present perfect to show that an action is somehow related to what we are talking about now.  There is a connection to the present time.  No time words are given.

 

Two friends are talking about traveling around the US and the world.

 

John:  Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon?

Sue: Yes, I’ve been there. I went there last summer.

Have you traveled outside of the US at all?

John:  I’ve traveled to a lot of countries.  I’ve been to Japan, Vietnam, and Brazil.

 

 

B. Use the present perfect to write about actions that have happened in a time period that isn’t finished.  It is an open time period. 

 

      We often use “so far” and “up to now” to show that the time period is still open.

 

      You can also use phrases like:  this week, this quarter, this month, and this year….

 

You have taken a quiz for me and a quiz for Matt this quarter.

I have corrected a lot of papers so far.

What have you eaten so far today?

Up to now, you have written four writing assignments.

I have read two books this month.

 

 

C.  Use the present perfect for repeated actions that may happen again.

I’ve traveled to The Grand Tetons with my family six times.

We have seen the Harry Potter movies at least five times each.

She has read her favorite book many times.

 

Think of an action that you have done many times and write a sentence about it with the present perfect.  Try to write a couple of sentences. 

I have watched my favorite movies several times.  (I watch my favorite movies from time to time.)

I have been to Lake Tahoe two times.

She has lost her phone twice.

She has traveled to Australia several times.

I have gone to SF several times on the weekend.

 

Homework for Monday:  pages 240-247, do exercises 13, 14, 15, 16, 18

And write WA#5.  Do the writing assignment carefully.  Find it on Canvas.

 

A little bit more on the present perfect:

 

The difference between the present perfect and the simple past:

 

1a. Present perfect statements with “for” express things that started in the past and continue to the present:

 

  She has been a student for three years.

  They have studied Spanish for two quarters.

 

1b. Simple past statements with “for” express things that started and finished in the past.

   She was a student for a long time.  She finished school.

 They studied Spanish for 4 years in high school.  

 

 

 

2a. Present perfect statements express things that happened in an unspecified time in the past. The time is not known or not important. These statements are related to a conversation in the present.

 

I’ve been to Hawaii.

They’ve traveled around the world.

 

2b. Simple past statements express things that happened at a specific time in the past.

  I went to Hawaii last summer.

  They traveled around the world in 2015. 

 

3a. Use the present perfect to write about actions that have happened in a time period that isn’t finished.

You’ve written four paragraphs so far this quarter.

He’s had five cups of water today.

   She’s eaten a sandwich, a piece of toast, and two apples today.

We’ve seen so many beautiful places on our trip.  (We’re still traveling)

 

3b. Use the simple past for actions that happened in a time period that is over.

I had 10 writing assignments in ESL 234 last quarter.

He drank 8 cups of water yesterday.

 We saw a beautiful waterfall in Yellowstone last summer.

 

4a. Use the present perfect for repeated actions that may happen again.

 

I have traveled across the US 4 times.  (I’ll probably do it again.)

She has seen Harry Potter 5 times. 

 

4b. Use the simple past for repeated past actions that won’t happen again.

 

When she was a little girl, she went to Disneyland many times.

He read that book 3 times.  Now, he’s bored with it. 

My grandma travelled to Italy every summer for many years.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment