A.Object pronouns:
Examples:
I saw him on Zoom last night.
You sent me your quizzes.
The teacher helped him with his assignment.
I returned your quizzes to you today.
My mom made a cake for me.
My son prepared dinner for my husband and me.
Grammar:
● Object pronouns go after verbs.
● Object pronouns can also follow a preposition.
Here is a list of the object pronouns:
me
you
him
her
it
us
them
B. Reflexive pronouns:
Examples:
My daughter did her homework by herself.
He looked at himself in the mirror and thought he looked handsome.
They helped themselves to some more food at a buffet.
Grammar and use:
● Use when the object refers to the subject of a sentence.
● Use with “by” to show that the person did something alone and without anyone’s help.
Here are the reflexive pronouns:
myself
yourself
himself
herself
itself
ourselves
yourselves
themselves
Write a few sentences with reflexive pronouns. Put them on our “chat”.
For example:
I made myself a cup of tea this morning.
The students did the quizzes by themselves. You didn’t have anyone help you.
I learned to ski by myself.
I do my homework by myself.
I always solve my problems by myself.
He lives by himself.
I did my laundry by myself.
I have traveled by myself.
I cooked by myself.
I go shopping for myself.
My niece baked a cake for herself.
I do aerobics by myself.
C.Say or Tell
He told me that he was sorry.
He said that he was sorry.
She told her teacher that she didn’t do her homework.
She said that she didn’t do her homework.
What is the difference in the two sets of sentences? They mean the same thing, but the grammar is different.
What goes after “tell”? “Tell” is followed by an object. It can be a pronoun or it can be a noun.
D. Questions about the subject or complement:
1. Questions about the subject:
Who drank a cup of coffee this morning? Several students drank coffee.
Who is working during the shelter in place? Quite a few of us are working.
Who lives in San Jose? Many of our classmates live in San Jose.
Which website has more information?
What happened in class last night?
● These types of questions do not include helping verbs such as: do, does, or did.
● Use the “s” form of the verb after “who” in the present tense. (even if you know the answer will include many people)
Write a question about the subject:
For example:
Who likes doing homework?
Who is interested in losing fat? Who is interested in losing weight?
Who wants extra homework?
Who gets up early?
Who loves candy? I do which is why I’m interested in losing weight.
Who is going to the mall after the lockdown ends?
Who works at a store?
B. Questions about the complement
Who do you live with? (Whom do you live with?) I live with my family. (object)
What did you do last night? I did my homework.
Where does she work?
How much time did your quiz take?
● Most of the questions that you ask are about the complement. We have already studied these types of questions.
● Notice the form:
Wh word + do/does/did + subject + verb
● You can use “who” or “whom” but “whom” is very formal and rarely used.
For example:
Whom did you drive to the store? I drove my neighbor to the store.
Who did you drive to the store? I drove my neighbor to the store.
This is much more common.
Homework for Monday:
1. Lesson 4: Review pages 94-101 if necessary.
2. Do pages 102-119, exercises 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21 and Test/Review
3. Write WA#4 (See the assignment on Canvas.)
No comments:
Post a Comment