Saturday, 13 June 2020

ESL 244 Monday/Wednesday course overview:

ESL 244 Monday/Wednesday course overview:

 

1.     Grammar:

a.     verb tense review:

1.    simple present:  I work on Mondays and Wednesdays.

2.    present progressive: You are taking ESL 244 this quarter.

3.    Simple past: Last summer she traveled to Hawaii.

4.    Past progressive: My daughter was doing her homework while I was preparing for class last night.

5.    Future: I will have a snack after class.

Many students are going to buy the book soon.

 

b.    New verb tenses:

1.used to- I used to walk my kids to school every day.

2.     Present perfect:  I haven't driven anywhere in 5 days.

3.     Present perfect progressive: I have been teaching at De Anza for over 25 years.

 

c.      modals:

1.    advice:  You should do your homework carefully.

2.    Necessity:  You have to turn your assignments in on Canvas.

3.    Prohibition:  You must not text while you drive.

4.    Requests/possibility/assumption

 

d.    Adverb clauses:  while, when, after, before, because, although….

After class ends tonight, some students are going to relax by watching a show.

Because we have to shelter in place, we cannot meet in person this quarter.

e.     compound sentences: for, and, but, yet, so….

She has 18 units this quarter, so she is very busy.

 

f.       nouns:

1.    quantity words with count and noncount nouns

You will have a lot of homework in ESL 244.

You will have many writing assignments.

 

2.    articles: a/an/the

 

g.     adjectives: comparatives and superlatives

 

3.    writing:  You will work on writing paragraphs on one topic.  You will begin with a topic sentence and include detail to support your topic sentence.  You will edit carefully for correct grammar.

 

 

Writing sample:

   Write a paragraph of at least 10 sentences.  Show me your best writing sample.  Edit carefully for correct grammar before you submit it.   Double-space.

 

 Choose one of the following topics:

 

a.  What are you looking forward to doing when we don't have to practice social distancing anymore?

 

b.  What did you do during your spring break?

 

c.  Write about one fun day that you had last summer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment