Count and noncount nouns and quantity words:
He saw a few accidents on his way to work today.
Lisa doesn’t give too much homework.
We will have several more writing assignments in ESL 244.
There is a little water in my bottle.
He has a lot of time to help his son with his homework because of the shelter in place orders.
A. For count nouns, you can use the following:
Some, enough, a lot of, a few (a small number), few (usually too small of a number) several, many, too many, any (and you can use a number in front of these words)
I have a few good friends. I’m happy that I have people to talk to.
She has few friends. She feels lonely a lot.
She has enough points to pass the class. (necessary quantity)
Write a sentence with “enough” and a count noun.
I have enough eggs to make some cookies.
I have enough friends to feel happy every day.
I have enough shoes to wear.
I got enough sleep to stay awake late tonight. (sleep is a “noncount noun”)
She has enough books to stay busy each day.
I don’t have enough pencils to do the project. I need to buy some more.
*The difference between “a lot of” and “too many”:
-a lot of (a large amount)
There are a lot of students at De Anza.
The grocery store has a lot of apples and oranges.
There are a lot of books at the library.
-too many (a complaint-more than you want or need)
There were too many people in line to get into Trader Joe’s yesterday. I decided not to go shopping.
He ate too many cookies. He got a stomachache.
Write a sentence about your life with “too many” and “a lot of” with a count noun.
I have a lot of apples in my kitchen. My daughter loves apples.
There are too many dishes in the sink. My kitchen is a mess.
Last weekend, we picked a lot of cherries.
I have a lot of bottles with water in my flat.
I bought a lot of vegetables and fruit.
Melanie Trump has a lot of cars.
I have bought too many clothes since I came back to Korea. I don’t have any more money.
There are too many ants in the yard.
I see too many lines in other stores.
He has too many problems to solve.
I have too many old books that I don’t need anymore.
I drink too many cups of coffee every day. I have a hard time sleeping at night.
My daughters’ room has too many toys.
Google has a lot of information. Google has too much fake news.
There is too much dust on my car. My car is dirty.
There are too many cakes. I’m on a diet and I don’t want to eat them.
*How do we use “any” with a count noun?
a. With negative statements followed by a plural noun.
I don’t have any chores to do after class tonight.
There aren’t any questions about pronouns on the midterm.
She doesn’t have any apples at home.
b. With questions followed by a plural noun.
Do you have any questions?
Do we have any assignments this weekend?
B. For noncount nouns, you can use:
Some, enough, a lot of, a little, little, a great deal of, much, too much, any (You cannot use a number in front of a noncount noun.)
Examples of noncount nouns: homework, water, air, money, advice, information, rice, flour, sugar, oil, milk, coffee, money, hair(both) , time (both), trash, garbage
You will have enough time to finish your midterm in class on Wednesday night.
He has a little information to share about the test. He can help you understand it.
He has little knowledge about the coronavirus. He really shouldn’t be trying to teach us about it.
I have too much homework in my math class. It takes me two hours every day.
With “any” you can use it in a question or a negative statement with a noncount noun:
Do you have any advice about how to study for the midterm?
He doesn’t have any fresh food in his house. He has to go shopping.
You don’t have any homework for our next class because you will have the midterm.
Homework for Wednesday, May 27 (no class on Monday, May 25; it is Memorial Day): pages 130-144, do exercises 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, the test review on page 147, and the editing practice on page 149
Revise WA#5 (present perfect) on Canvas for Wednesday, May 27. No new writing assignments for next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment