Saturday, 13 June 2020

Future ( be going to + verb and will + verb)

Future:

You are going to write a paragraph in the future tense.

This weekend, I am going to work in my garden.

The final exam will be in June.

 

There are two main forms of the future:  be going to + verb and will + verb.

We can also use the present continuous and the simple present sometimes.

 

When to use:

1. To write about facts about the future, you can use either “be going to + verb” or “will + verb”

 

Summer classes at De Anza will be online.

Summer classes at De Anza are going to be online.

 

 

2. To make predictions (guesses) use either one.

 

It is going to be warm next week.

It will be warm next week.

We will continue to shelter in place for a long time.

We are going to continue to shelter in place for a long time.

 

 

3. To talk about future plans (something that you have already thought about doing) use “ be going to + verb” or the present continuous (with the present continuous you need a time word)

 

I’m having a snack after class tonight. (Time word is necessary here.)

What if we say, “I’m having a snack?” What does that mean?  When are you having a snack?  It means that you are having it right now.   

I’m going to have a snack after class tonight. (Time word isn’t necessary here.)

I’m going to have a snack.  (That just means some time in the future.)

 

She is going to go shopping tomorrow.

They are going to do their homework in the morning.

 

 

What are you going to do this weekend?

I’m going to stay home.

I’m going to do my assignment.

She is going to sleep all day.

She is going to do her laundry this weekend.

I am going to do my homework.

He is going to go shopping this weekend.

He is going to go for a walk with his dog.

He is going to rest this weekend.

I’m washing my car this weekend.

She’s baking a cake on Saturday.

Are we going to have a test about grammar next week?

 

4. For quick decisions (made at the time of speaking) or to offer help, use “will + verb”

Situation:

Your friend is talking about her bad grade in math.

You say, “I’ll help you study.  I’ll set up a Zoom meeting and we can work on math.”

 

Situation:

You are with your friends and one of them suggests that you go to a movie

You say, “I’ll come. That sounds fun.”

 

5. To make a promise, use “will + verb”

 

The student who always comes late and never does his homework tells his teacher,

“I will be on time.”

“I will do my homework.”

“I won’t be late again.”

 

6. For scheduled future events, you can use the simple present tense.

The meeting starts at 8:00 tomorrow.  The meetings starts early tomorrow morning. 

Her plane leaves at 5:00 on Saturday.

 

**********************************************************

What does a sentence need?

a. a subject

b. a verb

c. a complete idea

e. a period

f. a capital letter

 

For example: I am going to go to bed at 11:00. 

 

 

Clauses:

A clause has a subject and a verb.

 

1.  an independent clause:  a subject, a verb, and a complete idea

    I am going to have a snack.

 

2. a dependent clause:  a subject and a verb (it doesn’t have a complete idea)

when I finish class

 

Adverb clauses:  An adverb clause is a type of clause, which we use in complex sentences.  A complex sentence has an independent clause and a dependent clause.

 

When I finish class, I’m going to have a snack.   (a complex sentence with an adverb clause)

 

Future time clauses:

Before she leaves De Anza, she is going to get help from her teacher.

He is going to finish his paragraph as soon as he gets home.

They are going to study together when they finish their jobs.

I’m going to read my novel until I go to bed tonight.

While she makes her breakfast tomorrow, her kids will get ready for school.

 

 

Use future time clauses to show a time relationship between two clauses.

 

What do you see with the punctuation?  Use a comma after a time clause.

 

What tense is used in the time clause?  Use the present

What tense is used in the main clause?  Use the future

 

1. Use: when, after, as soon as to introduce the first activity/event

 

As soon as he finishes his assignment, he will watch a movie.

When she gets up tomorrow morning, she is going to call her friend.

After we review the basic tenses, you will have a quiz.

You will have a quiz after we review the basic tenses.

 

 

 

 

2. Use “before” to introduce the second event/activity

      We are going to study the present perfect before we have our midterm.

      Before we have our midterm, we are going to study the present perfect.

First, we will study the present perfect.  Then you will have your midterm.

Before class ends tonight, I am going to talk about WA#2.

 

Write a sentence with a time clause with “before” about what you will do before Monday.

I am going to play a game with my daughter before the weekend ends. 

I am going to eat dinner before I do my homework.

Before this class ends, I’m going to drink a cup of tea.

I am going to clean my house with my roommate before our class starts on Monday.

I am going to do homework before I go to bed.

I will prepare my meals for the week before the weekend is over.

I will write my WA#2 before Sunday. (That is correct.  However, there isn’t a time clause.)

I’m going to read Chapter 2 before Lisa calls me. 

 

 

3. Use “until” to show that you do something “up to the time” of another event. Then the first event stops.

 

   She’ll watch her favorite show until she goes to bed.  (She will stop watching when she goes to bed.)

   He’ll study ESL until he learns how to write an essay. 

I’ll have Zoom meetings until the quarter ends.

She’ll keep practicing driving until she gets her license.

Until she gets her license, she’ll keep practicing driving. 

 

Write a sentence with “until” on your paper. Write something about your life.  Use a future time clause. 

I’ll stay at home until we don’t have to social distance any more.

Until the pandemic ends, I’ll stay at home.

I will study English until I speak fluently.

I will improve my writing skills until I can write without any mistakes.

 

I will do my homework until 10:00. That is a good sentence, but there is no time clause.

I will clean house until I go to bed.

 

4. Use “while” to show that two actions will happen at the same time in the future.  ***You can use the simple present or the present continuous in the while clause.

 

While I prepare for class tomorrow, my kids will read.

While she is giving her presentation, the rest of the students will listen to her.

While she gives her presentation, the rest of the students will listen to her.

 

Write a sentence with “while”. Use a future time clause in the sentence.   Make sure that you have two subjects and two verbs.

 

While I am eating dinner, my friends will call me.

I will not text anymore while I’m driving.  (Thank you!!!!)

I am going to listen to music while I’m driving. 

While I learn English, my daughter will learn piano.

While I am studying online, my husband will cook dinner for me. Very nice husband!

While I am taking a class, my roommate will eat dinner.

I am going to write a sentence while I listen to my teacher.

While I’m at home, I think about going back to work. (Present and present)

While I am baking a cake, my daughter is going to clean her room.

While I am studying online, I will think about going back to school soon.

While I am talking on the phone, my wife reads a book.  (Every time you talk on the phone, your wife reads a book.  Present/present)

While I am talking on the phone, my wife is going to read her book.

 

Homework for Monday:  pages 57-65, do exercises 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  (11-18) 

On page 67: do the test/review

 

WA #2:  Write about a specific goal that you have. The first sentence in the paragraph should say what the goal is.  Use the future tense to write about how you are going to achieve your goal.(Write about the steps you are going to take to make your goal become true.) Use at least four sentences with future time clauses.  Underline the future time clauses.   Write at least 150 words in paragraph form.  Please double-space the paragraph.  This assignment is on Canvas, and you will turn it in on Canvas.

 

 

For example: (This is just the beginning of the paragraph.)

 

     My goal is to have more energy this year.  First, I am going to start eating healthier food.  I am going to buy a lot of vegetables and fruit.  When I wake up in the morning, I will have a piece of fruit for breakfast instead of a piece of toast.  Also, I’m going to exercise more…

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment