Monday, 15 June 2020

The present perfect:

The present perfect:

 

I have been at my desk since 6:00.

They have loved soccer since they were little kids.

She has studied English since January of 2016.

He has owned his car for three months.

 

A.     Form of the present perfect:

Have/has + past participle (-ed for regular verbs) See Appendix K (page: AP15) for a list of irregular verb forms for the past participle.

 

Negative form of the present perfect:

 

I haven’t studied Spanish for very long.

She hasn’t lived with her parents since 2018.

 

Have/has + not + past participle

 

Yes/no questions with the present perfect:

 

Have you studied at De Anza for a while?  No, I haven’t.  Yes, I have.

Has she studied French for a long time?  Yes, she has.  No, she hasn’t.

 

Have/has + subject  + past participle

 

Wh questions:

Where have you lived for the last couple of years?

What have you studied since you graduated from high school?

 

Wh word + have/has + subject + the past participle

 

 

 

B.     The meaning of the present perfect with “for” and “since”.

 

      It shows a continuation of an activity or state from the past to the present and into the future.

 

      Use to show that an action or state began in the past and continues into the present (future).

 

      Use “for” with an amount of time: five hours, three days, several months, two years….

 

      Use “since” with the date, month, year, season or moment that the action began

 

 

 

For example:

I have known my best friend for 48 years. Do I still know her?

I have known my best friend since 1972.

She has taught at San Jose City College for a long time. Where does she teach?

We have studied together online since April 13.

             

 

1. Write one sentence with “for” and one sentence with “since” about your life.

I have studied English for several years.

I have been married since 2000.

I have studied English since I started high school.

I have been here for 3 years.

I have stayed at home for 2 months.

She has worked at Home Depot since 2018.

She has lived in Los Gatos for 1 year.

 

I have had a motorcycle license since 2018.

 

My father died in 2015. 

My father has been dead since 2015.

 

 

 

 

 

2. How long have you lived in California?  (use with “for” and “since”-with a specific date)

I have lived in California for about 3 years.

She has been in CA since 2018.

 

3. How long have you been a student at De Anza?

I have been a student for 2 quarters.

I have studied at De Anza since January.

 

Please mute your microphones unless you have a question.  J 

 

 

 

 

C.      Time clauses with the past and the present perfect:

You can use “since” or “ever since” in a time clause:

 

She has played the piano since she was in first grade. 

Does she still play the piano?  Yes, she does.

We have studied English grammar since the quarter began.

Since he moved to the US, he has worked at Google.

I have loved to be outdoors ever since I was a child. 

 

What tense did I use in the “since” clause?  The simple past.

What tense did I use in the main clause?  The present perfect.

 

 

Write a couple of sentences about your life.  Use time clauses with “since”.

 

For example:

I have been a teacher since I graduated from university.

I have dreamed about becoming a doctor since I was a kid.

I have been a mother since my daughter was born in 2014.

I have been a cashier since I came to San Jose.

I have worked since I came to the US.

Since immigrants moved to the US, they have had different nationalities.

I have been a driver since I came to San Jose.

I have gained 8 pounds since I stayed at home from March. J

             I have been in the US since I won a green card.

 

In break out rooms:  I want you to write some sentences with the present perfect to talk about your lives over the last 8 weeks (during the quarantine).  Try to also write a couple of sentences with time clauses with “since”.

 

I have worked out at home since the quarantine started.

I have had a cup of coffee each day since I returned to Korea.

 

I have practice English since I stayed at home.

 

I have studied online classes since March.

 

I have taken Vitamin C since the Coronavirus outbreak started.

 

My wife has been without a job since the virus came to the US.

My family has stayed at home because San Jose shut down.

I have learned some things about myself since the quarantine began.

My father hasn’t been to the US since the virus outbreak started.

 

 

 

Homework for Wednesday:  (No revision of WA#4)

Carefully read and study pages 226-239

Do exercises 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Possessive pronouns:

(page 99)

 

My house is blue.  His is red.  What is red?  His house is red.

My house is blue. His house is red.

Their car is a hybrid.  Ours is electric.  What is electric? Our car.

Her hair is long.  Mine is short.  What is short? My hair. 

 

Possessive adjectives: my, your, his, her, its, our, their

Possessive pronouns: mine, yours, his, hers,-, ours, theirs

 

***We use possessive pronouns so that we don’t have to repeat the same noun twice.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment