Monday, 15 June 2020

Time Words

Time Words:  These words can be used with different tenses. 

 

Example sentences:

During class tonight, you are going to take a quiz.  (future tense)

During dinner , you are going to celebrate your birthday.

During class , you are going to do final presentation today.

During class, she will going to ask the teacher about homework.

During water festival, she will going to sing .

During corona virus outbreak , I will going to stay home.

During corona virus outbreak, i will going to take online class .

During class every day, we go over our homework.  (present tense)

During class every day, we practice English grammar.

During corona virus outbreak, we stay home every day.

During class every day , the teacher ask the question to every student.

During class last week, I assigned WA #3.  (past tense)

During class last week , the teacher gave writing assignment 5.

During  class last week , the teacher did the revision for the final exam.


 

Whenever she has an exam, she feels nervous.  (present)

Whenever I went to my grandma’s house, she made me delicious food. (past)

 Whenever i went to my brother's house , he  brought me to the Japanese restaurant.

I will work part time job until I finish school ( future )

i will wait for my friend until she come back ( future)

I will read until I go to bed tonight.(future)

I read until I went to bed last night.(past)

I will

 

 

a. during: use with a period of time or an event; it is part of an adverb phrase, not an adverb clause (no subject and no verb)

 

During the 1980’s, I was in college.  (period of time)

During the movie, the people around me were eating popcorn.   (event)

 

b. while: use with an adverb clause, often with the continuous

While I was studying for the quiz, my son was watching a show.

 

c. when: use with an adverb clause

 

In these examples, the action in the “when” clause happens first:

 

When I wake up each morning, I have a cup of tea. 

He went on a run when he finished work yesterday.

When you finish your quiz tonight, you will feel happy. 

 

In these examples, the action in the “when” clause happens second:

They were eating when I got home. 

While she was studying, her roommate left their apartment to go for a walk.

 

d.  until: use with an adverb phrase or an adverb clause to show that something happens up to another time

 

I will watch a cooking show until bed.  (adverb phrase in the future)

I will watch a cooking show until I go to bed. (adverb clause in the future)

 

Yesterday, he worked until 10:00.  (adverb phrase in the past)

Yesterday, he worked until he finished his project.  (adverb clause in the past. 

 

e.  after and before:  these can be used with adverb clause and phrases in the different tenses

 

After work, she shopped at Whole Foods. (adverb phrase)

After she finished work, she shopped at Whole Foods.  (adverb clause)

 

He will study before he plays a game with his friend.  (adverb clause in a sentence about the future)

He will study before bed tonight.  (adverb phrase)

 

f.  whenever: this means every time

Whenever I see my mom, I give her a hug.  (present tense)

He uses his laptop to do his homework whenever he has an assignment. (present)

 

She spent extra time studying in high school whenever she had an important test.  (past)

Whenever he got in trouble by his teachers, he felt embarrassed.  (past)

 

 

 

Homework for Wednesday:  Pages 174- 178, do exercises 1, 2, 3, and 4 (carefully look over the chart on page 175)

 

Also do page 191 (the test/review) Don’t worry about #15 (It’s a reduced adverb clause, but we’re not studying those this quarter.)

 

Revise WA #3: Due by Friday, May 8 – You can find the assignment on Canvas.

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment