Thursday, 28 May 2020

Adverb clauses: ( ESL 244)

Adverb clauses:

 

A.  Because: We use “because” in adverb clauses to give a reason.   Remember that a clause has a subject and a verb.  An adverb clause is part of a complex sentence.  (one independent clause + one dependent clause)

 

He went to bed because he was sleepy. (complex sentence)

He went to bed. (independent clause)

because he was sleepy (dependent clause) 

Because  Monday was a holiday, we didn’t meet online.

She didn’t go running yesterday because it was too hot.

 

  Notice the punctuation with “because” clauses.

  When do we need to use a comma? We need a comma if the sentence starts with the “because” clause.

 

Write a complex sentence with a “because” clause.

I am hungry because I haven’t eaten dinner yet.

I am tired because I went to bed late last night.

I want to swim because the weather is hot.

I drank a lot of water this afternoon because the temperature was over 90.

I didn’t go outside because the weather was hot.

I’m trying to learn English because I’m living in the US.

Because we have to be careful about the coronavirus, people have to stay at home. 

 

 

 

 

B.  Even though/although: These are used in adverb clauses in complex sentences to show unexpected result/contrast. 

 

Even though it was really hot yesterday, he ran 5 miles. 

Although I studied hard for my midterm, I didn’t pass it. 

She ate two pieces of cake last night even though she is on a diet. 

 

 

  Notice the punctuation.  When do we need a comma?

 

Think of a sentence with “even though” or “although.”

Even though I ate a big lunch, I am still hungry. (It’s 12:00 pm in Korea right now.)

Although I exercise every day, I have not lost any weight. 

Even though I am tired, I can do that.

I ran last night even though I ate dinner first. (It was hard to run.)

Although it was raining heavily, she still got up at 5:00 to walk. 

Because I woke up right before class, I’m still sleepy.

Although studying English is difficult, I still love studying it.

Even though I turned on the AC, it’s still hot.

 

 

 

C.  Complete the sentences.

 

1.  Tim’s in good shape even though he eats a lot.

2.  Larry’s in good shape because he goes to the gym often.

3.  Joe speaks Spanish well because he practices speaking a lot.

4.  Susan didn’t learn Spanish even though she lived in Mexico for two years. (even though her parents speak Spanish.)

5.  Julie doesn’t make enough money to support her children even though she has two jobs.

6.  Because Maria has a good job, she bought a new luxury car.

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment