Tuesday, 9 June 2020

Compound sentences

 

Compound sentences:

Two independent clauses joined with a coordinating conjunction: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so

 

I am taking 15 units this quarter, and I am working full time.

I am taking 15 units this quarter. I am working full time.

 

She is busy with her life, yet she always finds time to help others.

I have two papers to write this weekend, so I can’t go out with you.

He is tired, for he stayed up very late last night.

I’m going to go out to shop for his birthday, or I’ll shop at home on the Internet.

He doesn’t like ice cream, nor does he like cake.

She needs to finish her project, but she feels really sick.

 

 

 

Coordinating conjunction:

       Use to show a relationship between ideas in two independent clauses (An independent clause has a subject and a verb and it is a complete idea.)

       Use a coordinating conjunction to join two independent clauses to make a compound sentence.

       Use a comma before the coordinating conjunction in a compound sentence.

 

And: addition

But/yet: opposition, contrast, concession

For: cause/reason

So: result or effect

Or:  choice, option, alternative

Nor: neither

 

 

 

Practice:  Write some compound sentences using different coordinating conjunctions from above.  Topic: What did you do over the weekend?  Make sure that you have two independent clauses. 

 

For example:

I didn’t have any food at home, so I had to go to the grocery store.

I wanted to go to the beach, but it was too windy yesterday.

I drank with my friends, so I am tired.

I didn’t finish my homework, for I had to work last week.

I went to LA this weekend, but I didn’t have fun in LA.

I am studying online, and I don’t have a job.

I didn’t cut my hair last month, so I have to go to a hair salon.

I worked on Saturday and Sunday, so I didn’t have free time last weekend.

Yesterday, I walked with my family, but it didn’t last long because it was windy.

I got the MMR vaccine, and I ate hot pot with my roommate.

I finished my homework on Tuesday, so I was happy and I went to my friend’s birthday.

I am working full time and I am studying full time too.

We played soccer, but we prefer playing baseball.

I did my homework very well, so  I got 15 points.

I am gaining weight, but I am still eating more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Homework on Canvas:  Write compound sentences using: and, but, so, yet, for

 

Topic:  your plans for summer vacation

 

For example:

 

1.      We are supposed to shelter in place,  so I will probably be at home a lot this summer.

 

2.       I want to go camping in Lassen National Park, and I want to go kayaking in Monterey Bay. 

 I am taking 15 unit this quarter , I am working full time. 

I am taking 15 units this quarter, and I am working full time.
by using and and showing the relationshipI you are 
I am busy.
I am working and I am a student/
She (subject)  is busy (verb) with her life , yet she always finds time to help others.
He is tired, for he stayed up very late last night.
I am going to go out to shop for his birthday, or I will shop at home on the internet.
she needs to finished her project, but she feels really sick.
When you write compound sentences you must have two subject and two verb
Compound sentences:  

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment